Friday 16 March 2007

more about me

I thought it was time to do a little research into the history of where I and my fellow feline counterparts come from. I have found some interesting facts about cats, which you can look at here: http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/trivia.htm

Some of the most interesting and perhaps unusual things this site tells you include:

• Cats do not have a collarbone, so they can fit through any opening the size of their head.
• A cat has a total of 24 whiskers, 4 rows of whiskers on each side. The upper two rows can move independently of the bottom two rows. A cat uses its whiskers
for measuring distances.
• Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, about 26 cycles per second. (I have also heard that it is 29 cycles per second but I guess it depends on the cat).
• Cats respond most readily to names that end in an "ee" sound. (except Pixie my littlest sister) Maybe that’s why Lola always ignores mummy when she is being spoken to!
• If a cat is frightened, put your hand over its eyes and forehead, or let him bury his head in your armpit to help calm him. (this applies to Lola who is always hiding her face).
• A cat can jump 5 times as high as it is tall.
• If your cat snores or rolls over on his back to expose his belly, it means he trusts you.

Thank you to the person who compiled these interesting facts, there are many more you can have a look at if you are minded to.

This site http://www.cfainc.org/articles/myths-facts.html also helps dispel some of the common myths about cats.

2 comments:

Biggles said...

Hallo Paddee, soree i hasnt' arnserd but my dad wood'nt let me yoos der pooter on my oan. well, so now i no wot a villige is do'nt fink i wont wun reely. i liv on an estate in an howse wots corled late victorian; ver bad to be late like that.
sorree to reed bout der pooee stuff. my dad got a shit tray out arfter runties latest jab and she did'nt piss in the whorel for a long time then she gose and duz it too daze in a roe, bit like a flud or my dad sez lake Jineeva, hoo ever that is.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, my brother must always be afraid then, he is always hiding his head in my mom's armpit. I prefer to lay flat out on her legs on my back, I guess I must trust her.

Mom did feed us well today, as well as the store bought food, she made us liver, veggies and rice in gravy... yum. I wasn't impressed she gave some to the chicken dog though. Mom said it was only fair.

Mom, did say if we wanted to be fed at 6am tomorrow, we need to go and tell the kids because she is not getting up!

We all finally warmed up but that was only after dad lit a fire. I don't like when the water falls from the sky because then the chipmunks don't come out and I can't practise my hunting. Though my head does hurt from hitting it on the window so many times!

Your friends

Shadow, Leo and the chicken dog